How We Work
We partner with and receive requests for assistance from a variety of local organizations. Their referrals are often related to a personal need that falls outside the organization’s funding restrictions. We welcome referrals and opportunities to partner with other organizations.
AgeSpan (formerly Elder Services of the North Shore) • Area churches • Boys and Girls Club • City Connects • City of Salem • Eliot Community Human Services • HAWC • House of the Seven Gables • LEAP for Education • Lifebridge North Shore • Mass General/North Shore Cancer Center • North Shore YMCA • Plummer Youth Promise • Pathways for Children • St. Vincent DePaul • Salem Academy Charter School • Salem Council on Aging • Salem Housing Authority • Salem Food Pantry • Salem Public Schools • Salem State University • Seamen’s Widow and Orphan Association
Thanks to such referrals, the Samaritans have:
- Assisted with the security deposit and first month’s rent for a recently widowed woman financially limited until her increased Social Security benefits began;
- Provided babysitting that enabled a young woman to complete the classes she needed to graduate from high school;
- Replaced the boiler for a gentleman on a disability pension;
- Paid the tuition for a 12-week job training program;
- Purchased beds for a family whose apartment was flooded when pipes broke in the apartment above them.